Thursday, February 17, 2011

New Perspective on an Old Scam

Don't look at me like that. You've received them too.

Send money now. Insert the sad and implausible tale of a unique situation gone awry. Don't forget the foreign angle to play off the 'we-are-Americans-and-nothing-so-odd-and-unfortunate-like-that-could-ever-happen-in-OUR-society' mindset. The massive breakdown of common sense, financial wherewithal and natural human decency all converge to plead with and prey upon the most compassionate and quick-to-act stateside souls.

Yeah, you've received just the email I'm talking about, haven't you? Well, we got one recently. On his way back from Europe and XYZ happened and now my former business/ministry associate needed money wired to him pronto.

Immediately my 'let me handle this' mentality kicked in and I began guffawing as I listed the numerous ways that the story just couldn't hold up. Nice try, buddy. Yes, I had outsmarted this hacker with my logic and was proud of it.

Then the real and far-more-inspiring truth hit me. There was absolutely no way my friend could have sent that email. I'm not sure how good he is at spelling or the status of his grammar skills, but it goes much deeper than that. I read the paragraph again and again. It's what wasn't there that I then saw more clearly.

You see, the supposed emailer and I share a common faith. We've both experienced the miracle of new birth. We both have been saved by grace through faith. Jesus is Savior and Lord and both of us embrace that truth. And as I remembered every interaction I've ever had with this man, I couldn't imagine a scenario in which these characteristics wouldn't be on display. Including an emergency email from a foreign country.

I have been contemplating Matthew 5:16 lately. "Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." I think the best of our actions do exactly that. Somehow, they invite others in the path of those labors to note not how great WE are but instead to look right through us to see how great a God we serve. And I'm not talking about just the do-good activities that generally come to mind with these light-shining functions. It can be done with happenings from feeding the poor to encouraging the downtrodden to...well, simply communicating with others.

It can get to the point like it had with my associate. It was as if he was a walking, talking ambassador here among us of some other kingdom. And that's exactly what he is. As am I. And all believers and followers of Christ as we venture on as pilgrims through this world. It becomes our defining characteristic. It can be seen in unique situations when called upon (like needing a lot of money in an emergency) and in the mundane everyday moments of life (like sending an email). Put those two together, and He still wants to shine through us so others see Him.

Things will happen. Someday, my friend may be caught up in some emergency. His only logical response to it might be to contact his friends and acquaintances and humbly ask for help. But the gospel light within him will phrase that potential email in such a way that I will not be looking just at him and his need but at our common Provider instead. My prayer is that if you interact with me today, you will see the same thing.

Join me in the journey, won't you? Send no money.

No comments: