Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Waiting...

The name of the game today was waiting.

It hit me on the way home from work. A stop sign. A simple right turn from there onto a two-lane highway. It can be a bit of a wait there at times. I was pleased when I came up to the intersection and noted that I was #2 in line. The guy ahead of me was taking a left, which can be a bit trickier for obvious reasons, but this wasn't going to be too bad. I just happened to notice the time as I pulled up. Waited a bit. A bit more. Started to marvel at the unique traffic patterns that elongated the typical stay at that spot. And then waited a bit more. Wondered if this was what it was always like at that time (I left work about five minutes or so later than I usually do). Waited a little longer. Couldn't he have gone just then? How about then?! Calm down, no rush. Just a bit more waiting, that's all. He finally had a clearing and went and I did the 'rolling stop' thing and pulled out. Noted the length of my stay there at about three and a half minutes.

Three and a half minutes.

Maybe a shade under four.

Some people (albeit not your normal, everyday type) can run a mile in that much time. An appropriate acceptance speech at an awards ceremony. Maybe an at-bat that goes to a full count. And I was idling and keeping the gas companies happy. But that three and a half minutes felt like an eternity.

I then remembered a phrase that I knew would greet me at some point during the evening when I got home. "I can't wait!". Somebody here turns ten tomorrow. Those words popped up last week and I knew they would make another appearance. And I understand why. Birthdays can be hard to wait for. Just before I started typing this out, the idea was even considered to potentially open a gift tonight. (She has the same birthday gift protocol as her father and that thought was quickly put aside...though she still 'can't wait' until tomorrow.)

Let's be honest. Waiting is a skill.

It's also one of the things I marvel at about the Christmas season. The waiting is over.

I try to imagine the typical good Jewish family at the time of Christ's birth. Properly taught and with a heart tuned toward the God that they were commanded to worship and awestruck by all that He communicated to them, they were in full waiting mode. The answer is coming. He will deliver us. He will save us. The messiah, the messiah...

And then another major life experience or two or three and a half goes by and there they were still...well, waiting.

As the shepherds made their way from the hills to the stable to kneel in wonder at the provision heralded by the angels (ANGELS!! In the sky and everything!!), they began to get a sense. The waiting was over. Perhaps that's why they went about 'glorifying and praising God' and sharing the news of what had happened. No more waiting. He's here now! He's here!

Downtrodden soul filled with angst, worry, doubt, fear, condemnation and guilt, know that He has come. He's here now! No more waiting!

1 comment:

Scott Wendt said...

funny catching up on reading - something i sent to my group on waiting below.
+++++
Dearest Friends,
I Am Waiting [please open the link then read]

It would seem that most of the discussion this last evening centered around the topic of being content in our situations. We want things to progress at a pace that will keep up with the lives that we all have grown to live in [a much faster or practically frantic pace, compared to the past of our fathers before us]. We have grown so used to nearly instant, well frankly, everything. From the use of instant connection of information on the internet, to news 24/7, to fast food, and instant oil changes { J - couldn’t resist ].
In this instant culture we are given over to wanting to rush everything, including God. We rarely take the time that is need to really hear that small still voice of God. He only sometimes shouts, in bold and direct colors and light – most often it is in details of the days [like making sure that Mr. Crawford had just enough mile to upgrade to the seating needed for such a long flight].
The good life exists only when we stop wanting a better on. The itch for things is a virus draining the soul of contentment.
-Chuck Swindoll
We all seem to have a hard time waiting. I frequently have issues where waiting to do something is like strapping me down in a chair in a straightjacket and then scraping my teeth with a file [I know nice illustration – but that is what it feels like]. Instead of waiting for the answer to come I am naturally inclined to want to, either move on my own or force God’s timing. We all as humans hate to be in a state of flux, and not knowing what we are supposed to do, we cannot move or plan for the next thing.
Only God knows the proper time for everything. He will, if we truly take the time to listen, reveal His plans for us. This is something that I have taken a long time to figure out, but still have not mastered the application of it. I remember this very clearly, the first day I went to meet with “the Group” [Doug and Neil] my first question was “How do you hear God’s voice, and his will for your life?” Spending time in God’s word, spending time just being alone and quiet, putting aside the things of the world for a time [I like a minimum of 10min myself]. For myself I get lost in music that will put me in that mode.

Short list below: [are from You Tube, but I just use my music player and wherever I am at]
<>

Bring The Rain Mercy Me
Give Me Your Eyes Brandon Heath
I’m Not Who I Was Brandon Heath
Slow Fade Casting Crowns
Lose My Soul Toby Mac
Let It Rain Michael W Smith
You Raise Me Up Selah
His Eye Is On The Sparrow Selah
There Is A Fountain Selah
Somebody’s Praying Me Through Allen Asbury

Know that my prayers are with you all,
Scott