Sunday, April 18, 2010

Seven Weeks and a Towel

It was the woman you gave me, Lord!

So goes the joke that surrounds the events now seven weeks old. And that’s exactly what it is…just a joke. It wasn’t Sarah’s fault. It wasn’t anybody’s fault. Sometimes things happen. And sometimes when those things happen, a bone gets broken.

We were just having fun with our son on the basketball court. In the flash of a moment, legs got tangled and the two of us were going down. Sarah fell gracefully. Me? Not so much.

Ice kept the swelling down long enough to get me to a Sunday afternoon visit to the urgent care. X-rays confirmed that the tip of the radius head bone in my left arm was broken. I’m not sure what goes through your mind when you hear ‘broken arm’, but here’s what goes through mine. Pain and expense and time. But instead of dwelling on the details of what I was thinking at that moment, let’s fast forward to the truth of which I was again graciously reminded.

Healing happens.

Our bodies amazingly not only allow for healing, but actually argue for it. Here is the list of applied remedies and medical assistance for the situation I found myself in: seven weeks and a towel. Well, at least it looked like a towel. Upon concluding that my arm was broken, the helpful nurses and technicians at the local urgent care decided that a towel was the trick. “We’ll just put this on your arm, it will conform to your elbow and forearm, and you’ll be good to go.” Good until the soon-coming appointment with the orthopedic doctor, that is. Here we go, I thought. This was going to be the first of many steps. Surgeries, repeat visits to medical facilities, and more. So they applied the towel thing to my arm and sure enough it hardened a bit and took the shape of my arm and was a temporary cast that I could take on and off until my appointment. But when that came, the surprising commenced.

“No further casting needed.”

“Just keep your arm in the temporary cast as needed throughout the day.”

“Give it a few weeks and it should be fine.”

And then the clincher. “Unless you have some issues or problems, I don’t even think it is necessary to see you again.”

So here we are seven weeks later. I have not spent another penny on any medical needs regarding the arm. I have not had another doctor visit regarding the arm. And the arm is…healing. I’ve been without the towel/cast for a couple of weeks now. What once was extremely painful soon became doable with a wince and then became done as normal (pretty much normal anyway). I can remember not being able to reach to a certain degree with my arm. Now I can. The little I did use it caused soreness. Now not so much. There were many limitations to how I could use the arm. Now…well, there are still some, but progressing nicely, thank you very much.

So here I am. Seven weeks later. Amazed at the healing that can take place when you just allow the body to do its thing. And thankful for the grace that makes it possible.

The author of that grace and these bodies has much more in store for those who place their trust in Him. So if you find yourself in an ‘urgent care’ scenario and are tempted to start adding up the bills, the ongoing pain, and never-ending problems of what lies ahead, try and re-direct your trust. Who knows what seven weeks and a towel might bring?

No comments: